Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Tougher Journey Ahead



When most of my friends ask, either on social media sites or in persons,  what I am doing right now, I simply joke around with "I'm a motor-taxi driver". 


Actually, I am teaching. 


To talk about education in Cambodia, I'm in no feelings but in a blender  full of shame and doubts. And, I metaphorically choke at how "urgent improvements needed" the system should be lifted up.  It hurts, like a lot, to face that education in Cambodia is "not so good". There are quite many a problems in the system, which I and many other Cambodians   disgrace. In a picture, poor students ain't having enough financial support and access to tertiary education. And, that cycle is cycle. It sucks, really. 


The good news is there are "truely-caring" people who are fighting for transparent betterment and  to revivify  the system. I just hope the system get better and better soon. 


As for what I am doing nowadays, I'm teaching some inadequate-privileged students at a local NGO in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. 


Those students, if I am to say, are innocent and, in a way, have no ideas how their remaining life will be have they not been selected to study here at the NGO. 


Academically speaking, from the start, they are just white paper, really blank and fragile, not knowing effective ways to study and, thus, seriously and cautiously needed to be guided and instructed. 


The class I was teaching comprises of 25 students who are from different locations and provinces in Cambodia. Aforementioned, they are underprivileged and are like blank piece of paper. 


They gonna spend 6 months at the NGO, grabbing skills as English, basic Computers and IT skills and Business Life skills before they move to another NGO who will give them jobs and support their further tertiary education at the university. 


Six months passed, like really with blinks of eyes. It's too quick. These students have to move further. 


During the course, I do actually try all my best to help them, giving them works and tasks in hopes that they will at least be weaponed with some basic skills to work. Somehow sad, my hopes ain't brightly shining. 


Yet, it does shine, at least. Congratulate to them. 


I have no ideas how hard and what else difficulties they will have to face next when they move to work and study at the same time. 


The day before they move, I spend some times to share some ideas of living, working and studying in the booming city of Cambodia, which, in fact, is not easy. 


Most of them are still scared and clueless of how life will be out there in the crowding and overwhelming-environment city. 


What else, after all the teachings, can I actually do besides giving them advice and encouraging them to try harder and to never quit?


I just hope they are blessed with good lucks out there and work their best to overcome this big challenges in their lives and turn the new bright page of their lives. 


"Good lucks, students, and beyond those luck, you have to work hard and harder to get to your goal, which is to get a Bachelor degree. Problems, along the way,  are common and you can either avoid them or solve them." 


Life is not easy. 


And the journey ahead is tougher. 


Good lucks to them and you, people. And, to me. 



Kindly Bookmark this Post using your favorite Bookmarking service:

4 comments:

  1. It is the story you told me ...... unbelievable, it happened since then ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, hmm, they are the second batch that I've taught. Now, they are working and at the same time preparing for the university course.

    Wish them all the lucks. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't even lolzz and write lolzz and nothing to even lolzz about....

      Delete

POPULAR POSTS